Editor’s observe: It is a recurring put up, commonly up to date with new data.
Even should you aren’t on the West coast or do not stay close to an Alaska Airways hub, you possibly can nonetheless get a ton of worth from the Alaska Airways Mileage Plan program. Certain, you need to use Alaska miles for flights on Alaska Airways, however the actual candy spots of the Alaska Mileage Plan program lie in its huge collection of companions.
Alaska Airways miles aren’t as straightforward to earn as different packages since Marriott Bonvoy is the one main transferrable foreign money you possibly can switch into this system. Nevertheless, there are nonetheless a number of choices if you wish to earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles on your subsequent redemption.
This is what it’s good to learn about incomes and redeeming with Alaska Mileage Plan companions.
Alaska Mileage Plan airline companions
- American Airways.
- British Airways.
- Cathay Pacific.
- Fiji Airways (a Oneworld join airline).
- Japan Airways.
- Malaysia Airways.
- Qatar Airways.
- Royal Air Maroc.
- Royal Jordanian.
- SriLankan Airways.
Alaska additionally has a number of non-Oneworld airline companions. Whereas redemptions aren’t obtainable on all of them, Alaska’s non-Oneworld airline companions embody:
Associated: Your full information to incomes and redeeming with Alaska Airways Mileage Plan
Alaska Mileage Plan award charts
Till the ultimate days of 2022, Alaska Mileage Plan provided award charts on its web site for every of its companion airways. However now, you may solely discover three award charts on Alaska’s web site: a North American award chart, a Cash and Miles award chart for Alaska fights and a world award chart.
Associated: Alaska Mileage Plan publishes a brand new companion award chart
Join our each day e-newsletter
This is the North American award chart:
This is the Cash and Miles award chart:
And here is the worldwide award chart:
These award charts solely present beginning charges for award flights on Alaska Mileage Plan companions. And the observe on the backside of the worldwide award chart states you may want to go looking utilizing your origin, vacation spot and dates to view pricing for awards to and from factors exterior the U.S. and Canada.
Since redemptions aren’t obtainable on all companions and Alaska’s agreements with some companions do not enable for redemptions on all routes, you may must seek for your required award on Alaska’s web site to know whether or not it is obtainable (and if that’s the case, how a lot it would value).
Associated: Maximizing redemptions with Alaska Airways Mileage Plan
Redeeming Alaska miles for a companion award flight
To seek for award availability and pricing, go to the Alaska Airways web site, log in to your Mileage Plan account and choose the “Use miles” field earlier than looking.
You may also verify the “Award calendar” field earlier than trying to find an award to see a calendar view. Then you possibly can choose the award kind.
The calendar view is especially useful when you have a versatile journey schedule and are searching for less-expensive companions. For instance, think about these one-way business-class companion awards from New York to Hong Kong:
You might redeem 120,000 Alaska miles plus $26 per individual for a mixed-cabin award on Korean Air. Or you possibly can redeem 100,000 Alaska miles plus $25 for a business-class award on Singapore Airways. However you possibly can additionally redeem simply 50,000 Alaska miles plus $19 for a business-class award on Cathay Pacific.
Listed here are some issues to know if you wish to redeem Alaska miles on companions:
- Itineraries that embody a number of companion award segments incur a $12.50 nonrefundable charge per individual, per means.
- You possibly can’t guide a stopover on awards inside worldwide areas (reminiscent of intra-Asia or intra-Europe).
- In case your origin and vacation spot are exterior the U.S. and Canada, you should guide at the least 72 hours earlier than departure.
- Alaska Mileage Plan awards for choose companions, together with British Airways, Hainan Airways and Icelandair, face a excessive carrier-imposed cost.
- You possibly can’t use Alaska miles to guide a Ravn Alaska award between Fairbanks and Anchorage.
- In the event you redeem Alaska miles for a one-way Korean Air award, you may pay the identical quantity of miles as should you booked a round-trip award.
- For worldwide companion award bookings, lap infants will not be accepted. Alaska’s web site recommends reserving a seat at the usual mileage price for infants on these flights.
Moreover, keep in mind you could’t combine companion airways. Particularly, all award tickets should be operated by a single companion. That mentioned, you possibly can add Alaska Airways flights to a companion itinerary.
Associated: Methods to guide free stopovers with Alaska Airways Mileage Plan
Alaska’s removing of partner-specific award charts could also be a precursor to eradicating among the greatest companion candy spots. Nevertheless, at the least for now, we’re nonetheless seeing lots of our favourite Alaska Mileage Plan candy spots.
The most effective makes use of of Alaska miles is to guide enterprise or top notch awards on Cathay Pacific. Earlier than Alaska eliminated its Cathay Pacific award chart, we knew one-way awards on Cathay Pacific from the U.S. to Asia had been 50,000 miles in enterprise class and 70,000 miles in top notch. Now, all of the Alaska Mileage Plan worldwide award chart tells us is that one-way companion awards from the U.S. to Asia begin at 50,000 miles in enterprise class and 70,000 miles in top notch.
Whereas updating this story, we discovered no first-class award availability on Cathay Pacific between the U.S. and Hong Kong. So we won’t verify these awards are nonetheless bookable for 70,000 Alaska miles every means. However we did discover one-way enterprise class awards on Cathay Pacific bookable for 50,000 miles plus minimal taxes and costs.
You may also tack on a cease in Hong Kong without spending a dime earlier than persevering with some other place in Asia (like Bali) for a similar miles as ending your journey in Hong Kong.
Alaska Mileage Plan miles can be an effective way to get to Fiji. Earlier than Alaska eliminated its Fiji Airways award chart, we knew one-way awards on Fiji Airways between the U.S. (Los Angeles and San Francisco) and Nadi, Fiji, value 40,000 miles in financial system or 55,000 miles in enterprise class. And fortunately, we’re nonetheless seeing this pricing:
In the event you’re contemplating reserving, know you possibly can add a stopover in Fiji after which proceed to Australia for a similar quantity of miles.
Associated: Methods to plan a visit to Fiji with out breaking the financial institution
Different companion redemptions with Alaska Mileage Plan
In addition to award flights, there are different methods to redeem Alaska miles. This is a fast overview of among the non-airline companions with whom you possibly can redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles:
- Alaska Airways Lodges: You possibly can redeem Alaska miles for resort stays while you guide via the Alaska Airways Lodges portal. You possibly can redeem fewer miles for stays when you have an Alaska Airways bank card.
- Switch miles to another person: You possibly can switch miles to a different Alaska Mileage Plan member at a price of $10 per 1,000 miles.
- Donate your miles: You possibly can donate your miles to a collection of charities via Alaska’s CARE Miles program.
- Redeem miles for magazines: You possibly can redeem miles for journal subscriptions via MagsForMiles.
- Alaska Airways Extras: You possibly can redeem miles for experiences, reveals, sporting occasions and extra via Alaska Airways Extras.
Nevertheless, earlier than you redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles with these companions, think about whether or not doing so will present good worth. For instance, paying to switch your Alaska miles to another person seemingly will not present good worth. However, redeeming miles for tickets to a sporting occasion via Alaska Airways Extras may present good worth in some circumstances.
Associated: 5 methods the TPG employees would redeem 70,000 Alaska miles
Incomes with Alaska Mileage Plan companions
To make the most of Alaska’s companion redemptions, you want Alaska miles. You possibly can, in fact, earn miles while you fly with Alaska Airways. However here is the right way to earn Alaska miles with Mileage Plan companions.
Fly with companion airways
As talked about above, you possibly can earn miles while you fly with Alaska Airways. However you can even earn Alaska miles on most flights operated or marketed by Alaska’s companions.
Incomes charges range by airline and fare class — and never all fares earn Alaska miles. To see how your flight will earn should you credit score it to Alaska Mileage Plan, go to Alaska’s companion airline web page, click on on the airline that offered your flight and take a look at the incomes desk.
For instance, here is the incomes desk for flights marketed by American Airways and operated by both American or one other Oneworld airline:
In the event you’re booked right into a fare class not listed above, you will not earn any miles should you credit score your flight to Alaska.
Get an Alaska Airways bank card
A simple method to earn Alaska miles is so as to add an Alaska Airways bank card to your pockets.
You might sign-up for the Alaska Airways Visa Signature® bank card, which at the moment presents a sign-up bonus of fifty,000 bonus miles plus Alaska’s Well-known Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and costs from $22) when you make $2,000 or extra in purchases inside the first 90 days of opening your account.
Or you possibly can sign-up for the Alaska Airways Visa® Enterprise card, which at the moment presents a sign-up bonus of 40,000 bonus miles plus Alaska’s Well-known Companion Fare from $121 ($99 fare plus taxes and costs from $22) when you make $2,000 or extra in purchases inside the first 90 days of opening your account.
With each Alaska bank cards, you may earn 3 miles per greenback spent on eligible Alaska Airways purchases and 1 mile per greenback spent on all different purchases.
Associated: Bank card showdown: Alaska Airways Visa Signature vs. Alaska Airways Enterprise Visa
Switch Marriott factors to Alaska
The Alaska Mileage Plan program can be a Marriott Bonvoy switch companion. For each 3 Marriott factors you switch, you may get 1 Alaska mile. Plus, you may get a 5,000-mile bonus for each 60,000 factors you switch. Nevertheless, Marriott transfers could take 4 days to reach in your Alaska account.
Alaska Mileage Plan resort companions
If you wish to earn Alaska miles in your resort stays, you possibly can guide via Alaska Airways Lodges to earn as much as 10,000 miles per night time. Or, you possibly can guide immediately with the next manufacturers and set your incomes choice to Alaska Mileage Plan miles:
- Finest Western Lodges and Resorts: Earn 250 miles per keep on qualifying charges.
- Marriott Bonvoy: Earn 2 miles per greenback spent on all qualifying expenses or 1 mile per greenback spent on the room price (relying on the resort).
- Alternative Lodges: Earn 250 miles per eligible keep at collaborating motels.
- Rocketmiles: Earn 500 to 10,000 miles per night time.
- Coast Lodges: Earn 250 miles per keep on qualifying charges.
- Westmark Lodges: Earn 2 miles per greenback spent on room lodging at a certified price.
- InterContinental Lodges Group: Earn as much as 2 miles per greenback spent on eligible expenses or 500 miles per qualifying keep (relying on the resort).
Earlier than you earn Alaska miles in your resort keep, think about whether or not you’d earn extra beneficial rewards via the resort’s loyalty program. For instance, I might slightly earn Marriott Bonvoy or IHG One Rewards factors after I stick with motels in these packages.
Alaska Mileage Plan automobile rental and rides companions
If you wish to earn Alaska miles on automobile leases, you possibly can guide your rental via Alaska Airways Automotive Rental and earn 50 miles per rental day on most leases. Or, you possibly can choose to earn Alaska miles on automobile leases and rides with the next Mileage Plan companions:
- Lyft: Hyperlink your Alaska Mileage Plan and Lyft accounts to earn 1 mile per greenback spent on Lyft rides.
- Avis and Funds: Earn 50 miles per rental day on leases of 1 to 4 days or 500 miles on leases of 5 days or extra.
- Greenback and Thrifty: You may usually earn 50 miles per rental day. However via June 30, 2023, you possibly can earn 150 miles per rental day on leases of three days or longer.
- Hertz: You may usually earn 50 miles per rental day on leases of 1 to 4 days or 500 miles per rental on leases of 5 or extra days. Nevertheless, via June 30, 2023, you possibly can earn 4 occasions the miles.
- Alamo and Nationwide: Earn 50 miles per rental day.
Earlier than you decide to earn Alaska miles in your automobile rental, learn the linked companion web page. Some companions require you to guide your automobile rental utilizing a particular code or exclude some rental areas. And a few companions solely present miles for leases in choose international locations.
Different Alaska Mileage Plan companions
Lastly, a number of different Alaska Mileage Plan companions allow you to earn Alaska miles in your purchases. This is a take a look at a few of these companions:
- Mileage Plan Eating: Earn miles while you use an enrolled card to pay at collaborating eating places, bars and golf equipment.
- Mileage Plan Buying: Earn miles while you click on via the Alaska purchasing portal to a collaborating service provider and make an eligible buy.
- CuisesOnly: Earn 1 mile per greenback spent (as much as 10,000 Mileage Plan miles) while you guide a cruise.
- 1-800-Flowers.com: Earn 20 miles per greenback spent when utilizing promo code AKA3.
- Carrs/Safeway shops within the state of Alaska: Earn 1 level per greenback spent on groceries and a pair of factors per greenback spent on present playing cards. When you earn 100 factors, you get a reward you possibly can clip for 100 Mileage Plan miles.
Many extra area of interest Alaska Mileage Plan companions allow you to earn miles on on a regular basis purchases. Take a look at Alaska’s On a regular basis companions web page for extra particulars.
Associated: Methods to earn miles with Alaska Airways Mileage Plan
Alaska Mileage Plan has some extraordinarily beneficial companions. Particularly, this system’s airline companions provide some extraordinarily beneficial redemption choices.
There are many choices to earn Alaska miles with companions, together with automobile leases, eating and purchasing. That mentioned, the simplest methods to earn Alaska miles are with cobranded bank cards just like the Alaska Airways Visa Signature® bank card or by transferring factors from Marriott Bonvoy.
Extra reporting by Benji Stawski and Victoria M. Walker.