Turkish Airways’ Miles&Smiles frequent flyer program has turn into more and more helpful previously couple of years. If it’s a program you’re not accustomed to, it’s in all probability price having a look.
Why you need to care about Turkish Airways’ loyalty program
Why must you care concerning the Turkish Airways Miles&Smiles program? There are a couple of causes:
- It’s turning into more and more simple to earn Turkish Airways miles with transferable factors currencies
- Miles&Smiles award pricing for journey on Turkish Airways is great, and on prime of that Turkish Airways has an exceptional enterprise class product, and the airline flies to extra international locations than another airline on this planet
- Miles&Smiles has some distinctive award alternatives on Star Alliance companions, together with some nice award pricing for home United Airways flights (although I’m not fairly as keen about this redemption choice as others)
The way to earn Turkish Airways miles
Turkish Airways companions with two transferable factors currencies, giving these with bank cards quick access to those miles:
One of the best makes use of of Turkish Airways miles
I wished to focus on the Turkish Airways Miles&Smiles redemptions that I contemplate to be notably profitable. You may discover the Turkish Airways Miles&Smiles award chart right here, below the “promotional award ticket desk” part. Whereas there’s additionally a separate “customary” degree of award pricing, if there’s saver degree award availability then the promotional pricing ought to apply.
Redeeming miles on Turkish Airways
The worth of redeeming Miles&Smiles miles on Turkish Airways is spectacular, and among the many greatest values of any program. Listed below are Turkish Airways’ one-way enterprise class award redemption prices for journey originating in the USA:
- Fly from the USA to Europe for 45,000 miles
- Fly from the USA to the Center East for 47,000 miles
- Fly from the USA to Central Asia for 52,500 miles
- Fly from the USA to North Africa for 60,000 miles
- Fly from the USA to the Far East for 67,500 miles
- Fly from the USA to Central Africa for 72,500 miles
- Fly from the USA to South Africa for 85,000 miles
Critically, the values listed here are distinctive:
- Los Angeles to Istanbul to Frankfurt in enterprise class? That’ll value you 45,000 miles
- Chicago to Istanbul to Dubai? That’ll value you 47,000 miles
- Newark to Istanbul to Bishkek? That’ll value you 52,500 miles
- Miami to Istanbul to Cairo? That’ll value you 60,000 miles
- San Francisco to Istanbul to Ulaanbaatar? That’ll value you 67,500 miles
As you’d anticipate, there are some issues to concentrate on:
- One free stopover is allowed in Istanbul on a roundtrip award, however that requires reserving by cellphone
- Turkish Airways does go on gas surcharges on award tickets, although they’re not too dangerous in comparison with different airways; for the entire above awards you can anticipate to pay $180-270 one-way in gas surcharges for enterprise class
- Whereas flying from the USA to Europe through Istanbul does contain backtracking in lots of circumstances, not less than Turkish Airways has a “correct” enterprise class on many intra-Europe flights, so which may be a preferable choice to connecting on one other airline
- Turkish Airways will be quirky with award availability; in some circumstances there’s nearly no enterprise class award availability on a flight for weeks at a time, and in different circumstances there are 4 award seats per flight nearly each day, so do some searches earlier than transferring factors
- In the event you search on Turkish Airways’ web site and see award pricing a lot greater than the quantities proven above, that merely means there’s no saver award area, and that awards are pricing on the greater prices
- You possibly can maintain award tickets for 3 days by cellphone if you wish to lock in awards earlier than transferring factors
- Canceling or altering an award reservation prices simply $25, which is among the extra affordable charges you’ll discover from a frequent flyer program
Redeeming miles on Star Alliance companions
I’m not fairly as enthusiastic about this as others. On the whole I wouldn’t redeem Turkish Airways miles on Star Alliance companions as a result of:
- There are gas surcharges in lots of areas, and there are different Star Alliance applications by means of which you’ll redeem miles with out gas surcharges (some Star Alliance airways cost $500+ in gas surcharges one-way throughout the Atlantic in enterprise class)
- Whereas Turkish Airways’ web site does have a Star Alliance award search software, in my expertise it’s damaged extra typically than it really works, so you might have to ebook by cellphone
In the event you ask me, there’s one specific associate award candy spot. Award flights inside a single area value:
- 7,500 miles one-way in financial system class
- 12,500 miles one-way in enterprise class
Since Turkish Airways is within the Star Alliance, you can redeem these variety of miles for a United one-way award ticket inside the USA, together with to & from Alaska and Hawaii. Better of all, there are not any gas surcharges on home redemptions on United.
That is completely an unimaginable redemption worth. The main problem is that really discovering saver degree award availability on United will be extraordinarily difficult, particularly in home firstclass (which is priced as enterprise class). So if you wish to pursue this feature, you’ll in all probability need to begin your search on United’s web site utilizing the calendar function, earlier than shifting over to Turkish Airways’ web site. After which there’s the entire concern of Turkish Airways’ web site not being nice for reserving associate awards.
There are equally good alternatives in different areas. For instance, you can redeem simply 12,500 miles for one-way Air Canada enterprise class in a flat mattress between Toronto and Vancouver, simply to offer an additional instance. There can be some gas surcharges there, although.
The way to ebook Turkish Airways awards
How do you truly go about redeeming Turkish miles? To begin with, you’ll must open a Miles&Smiles account to look availability on Turkish’s web site, however that is immediate and free, and also you don’t want any miles in your account to conduct a search.
After you have an account, the method of looking for award flights on Turkish Airways metallic is straightforward. Simply log into your account, after which on the house web page verify the field subsequent to the textual content that claims “Award ticket – Purchase a ticket with Miles” on the prime proper of the flight search software.
That may take you to a unique web page, the place you’ll simply be capable to conduct an award search. There you’ll simply need to enter your origin, vacation spot, dates, variety of passengers, and sophistication of service.
The following web page will show award flight choices, and the method from there’s fairly simple.
The method for looking out Star Alliance award flights is a little more sophisticated, because the airline appears to cover this feature for no matter purpose. Then there’s the entire concern of award area typically not exhibiting up, to the purpose that I discover this to be fairly ineffective.
I’ve warned you, however in case you nonetheless need to search award availability, you’ll first must log into your Miles&Smiles account. Then on the prime proper you’ll need to hover over your identify, after which click on on the “Miles Transactions” button.
On the best facet of the subsequent web page you need to see a bit that reads “Star Alliance award ticket,” and also you’ll need to click on that, which can carry you to the Star Alliance search web page. Alternatively, you’ll be able to simply comply with this hyperlink.
The Star Alliance search web page is fairly simple to make use of, although award availability gained’t at all times match what you see by means of different applications. Fairly on the contrary, I typically discover that it doesn’t work in any respect.
Personally I typically don’t have a lot luck getting award seats to point out up even when there’s saver degree award availability. This area ought to typically be bookable by cellphone, however I do all the things I can to keep away from reserving awards like this by cellphone, particularly since Turkish Airways’ name middle will be… sophisticated. For me it is a main deterrent of reserving Star Alliance associate awards by means of the Miles&Smiles program.
Turkish Airways Miles&Smiles is a unbelievable area of interest frequent flyer program that’s switch companions with each Citi ThankYou and Capital One. I wouldn’t need to ebook most of my awards by means of this system, on condition that Turkish imposes gas surcharges on many awards, Turkish’s web site isn’t nice, and reserving associate awards on-line will be sophisticated.
Nevertheless, for flights in Turkish Airways enterprise class, it’s robust to beat the Miles&Smiles program. Redemption charges are extraordinarily low, and whereas there are gas surcharges, they’re comparatively gentle. Turkish flies to extra international locations than another airline on this planet, and has an awesome product besides.
So far as Star Alliance associate redemptions go, what makes Miles&Smiles particular is the power to redeem miles for journey inside a area. You’ll pay 7,500 miles for a one-way financial system ticket, and 12,500 miles for a one-way enterprise class ticket. That’s an superior deal, assuming yow will discover award availability and are prepared to undergo the effort of the reserving course of.
To be trustworthy, I’ve by no means booked an award by means of Turkish Miles&Smiles for my very own travels, although that’ll hopefully be altering quickly, as a number of locations on my bucket record are greatest served by Turkish Airways.
This program is not less than price holding in your radar in case you’re selecting up a card just like the Citi Premier or Capital One Enterprise X.
In the event you’ve redeemed miles by means of Turkish Miles&Smiles, what was your expertise like?