Avios has turn into an more and more widespread loyalty forex.
When you could historically consider Avios as the kind of rewards utilized by British Airways, it’s the official factors forex utilized by the next packages:
Avios will be transferred between any of those packages at a ratio of 1:1, so every Avios is theoretically price the identical in every program; nonetheless, there are candy spots in every program to pay attention to.
Finnair Plus will even undertake Avios as its factors forex in late January 2024.
Listed below are one of the best Avios candy spots and which program(s) to e book them by means of.
Quick-haul European flights on British Airways
British Airways Govt Membership fees simply 4,750 Avios every means for off-peak flights it operates from London to locations as much as 650 miles away (peak-date flights are solely 5,250).
This consists of locations in Eire, Scotland, Denmark, France, Germany, Austria and Italy.
Charges, taxes and surcharges will set you again $31 every means (this will differ relying on present change charges), although you even have the choice to scale back this to only $1 by redeeming 9,250 Avios, which is about as near “free” flights as you’re prone to discover.
Day by day E-newsletter
Reward your inbox with the TPG Day by day e-newsletter
Be a part of over 700,000 readers for breaking information, in-depth guides and unique offers from TPG’s consultants
For flights of 651-1,151 Avios, the off-peak value is 7,250 every means on off-peak dates (or 8,250 on peak dates). This consists of European locations additional afield in Europe, together with in Portugal and Northern and Jap Europe.
Award flights sometimes embody full-size cabin baggage and a checked bag, so they could be a nice option to get round fundamental fares that embody none of this stuff.
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership
Quick-haul home flights on American or Alaska
British Airways costs flights in North America barely in another way than in the remainder of the world. Zone 1 flights — those who cowl 650 miles or much less — sometimes require 4,750 to five,250 Avios for financial system on British Airways, Iberia and Aer Lingus, or 6,000 Avios on most different companions.
Nevertheless, British Airways costs nonstop financial system Zone 1 flights inside North America on all dates at 7,500 Avios. Then, Zone 2 flights and better use the identical pricing as different associate airways. Regardless of this restriction, you may nonetheless get strong worth in case you discover saver-level award area with American Airways or Alaska Airways.
With Zone 1 financial system flights within the U.S. pricing at 7,500 Avios and Zone 2 flights pricing at 9,000 Avios, you need to be capable of fly out of just about any American Airways hub to dozens of locations.
This opens up helpful choices, together with from any New York airport to Miami Worldwide Airport (MIA) or from Chicago’s O’Hare Worldwide Airport (ORD) to Dallas Fort Value Worldwide Airport (DFW) for less than 9,000 Avios in financial system class.
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership
Island-hop by means of the Caribbean
British Airways operates a number of fifth-freedom flights between Caribbean islands utilizing wide-body plane earlier than or after these planes return to London. You may e book simply the island-hop flights in financial system, premium financial system or enterprise class — and better of all, as British Airways operates them, you’ll solely pay the Zone 1 pricing ranging from simply 4,750 Avios.
As these flights are often not full, award availability is great.
BA’s fifth-freedom community does change from season to season, however you may at present e book the next:
- Nassau’s Lynden Pindling Worldwide Airport (NAS) to Grand Cayman’s Owen Roberts Worldwide Airport (GCM)
- Antigua’s VC Fowl Worldwide Airport (ANU) to Tobago’s A.N.R. Robinson Worldwide Airport (TAB), Providenciales Worldwide Airport (PLS) and St. Kitts’ Robert L. Bradshaw Worldwide Airport (SKB)
- St. Lucia’s Hewanorra Worldwide Airport (UVF) to Grenada’s Maurice Bishop Worldwide Airport (GND) and Trinidad’s Piarco Worldwide Airport (POS)
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership
Associated: What it is like flying British Airways for a 20-minute flight between Caribbean islands
Fly American or Alaska from the West Coast to Hawaii
British Airways Govt Membership provides the flexibility to fly from main West Coast cities in the USA to the Hawaiian Islands for simply 13,000 Avios every means, because of the Avios distance-based chart. That beats the award fee for all of the U.S. airways, and there isn’t any close-in reserving price both.
However on this case, it isn’t nearly American’s route community. Alaska Airways can be a British Airways associate, which implies you’ve got entry to Alaska’s flights to Hawaii, although you may must name to e book Alaska flights with Avios since they are not searchable on ba.com. That opens up routes that AA would not serve however Alaska does, resembling from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose Worldwide Airport (SJC) to Honolulu’s Daniel Okay. Inouye Worldwide Airport (HNL) and from Seattle-Tacoma Worldwide Airport (SEA) to Maui’s Kahului Airport (OGG).
So, in case you stay nearly wherever on the West Coast — or can simply place there — Avios will be your buddy to Hawaii.
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership (you might must name)
Associated: The perfect methods to get to Hawaii utilizing factors and miles
Fly JetBlue Mint to the Caribbean
Now you can redeem Qatar Airways Privilege Membership Avios for JetBlue-operated flights.
Whereas the charges for transcontinental and transatlantic flights are steep, there are some good offers on flights beneath 2,000 miles in size, which value 26,000 Avios every means in Mint enterprise class (or 13,000 Avios in financial system).
This consists of the next Caribbean routes from the Northeast that function the Mint cabins and repair:
- Boston Logan Worldwide Airport (BOS) to Aruba’s Queen Beatrix Worldwide Airport (AUA), St. Maarten’s Princess Juliana Worldwide Airport (SXM) and St. Thomas’s Cyril E. King Airport (STT)
- New York’s John F. Kennedy Worldwide Airport (JFK) to Aruba and St. Maarten
- Newark Liberty Worldwide Airport (EWR) to Aruba
Ebook by means of: Qatar Airways Privilege Membership. Whereas on-line redemptions have typically been obtainable, you might must name Qatar Airways in case you obtain an error message when looking on-line.
Associated: The transcon champ: Reviewing JetBlue’s new Mint Studio biz
Iberia business-class flights to Spain
The important thing to this superb candy spot is to fly a nonstop, Iberia-operated flight of three,001 to 4,000 miles on off-peak dates (test Iberia’s peak and off-peak calendar).
It’s because Iberia makes use of a distance-based award chart for its flights.
Iberia operates a number of transatlantic flights that fall into the three,001-4,000-mile distance band. As such, you may e book Iberia flights between the next metropolis pairs for simply 34,000 Avios every means in enterprise class, plus modest taxes and costs:
- Boston or New York to Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD)
- Boston or New York to Josep Tarradellas Barcelona-El Prat Airport (BCN)
- Washington’s Dulles Worldwide Airport (IAD) to Madrid
Whereas flights from Chicago’s O’Hare Worldwide Airport (ORD) to MAD are barely exterior this vary, additionally they worth at 34,000 Avios one-way in enterprise class, which is a wonderful deal.
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership or Iberia Plus
Associated: A evaluation of Iberia’s new business-class suite on the A350-900 from Madrid to Mexico Metropolis
Off-peak Aer Lingus flights to Eire
Should you can journey throughout off-peak dates — which cowl roughly eight months of the yr — you may fly to Dublin from a handful of U.S. cities, together with as far west as Chicago. This award will set you again simply 26,000 Avios round-trip in financial system or as little as 50,000 one-way in enterprise class.
And suppose you reside within the South in a metropolis like Orlando or Miami, or the West in Los Angeles or San Francisco. In that case, the value solely will increase to 32,500 Avios round-trip in financial system and 62,500 one-way in enterprise, which continues to be a terrific deal contemplating how lengthy these flights are.
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership or avios.com
Fly Qatar Airways Qsuite enterprise class to Doha and past
Qatar Airways has what’s extensively thought of one of many world’s greatest business-class merchandise with its award-winning Qsuite product. Even the provider’s financial system product is a strong possibility.
Listed below are the costs for widespread one-way itineraries per particular person on any date in enterprise class (there isn’t any peak or off-peak pricing):
- New York to Doha’s Hamad Worldwide Airport (DOH): 70,000 Avios plus $73.35
- Boston to Delhi Indira Gandhi Worldwide Airport (DEL): 80,000 plus $201.50
- Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) to Doha: 43,000 plus $198
- Miami to Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK): 95,000 plus $202.90
- Edinburgh Airport (EDI) to Tokyo’s Narita Worldwide Airport (NRT): $440.442
Whereas availability on flights from North America is at present scarce, even for Privilege Membership members, seats are launched final minute, and availability on shorter routes, resembling these between Europe and Doha, is available with Avios upfront.
Ebook by means of: British Airways Govt Membership or Qatar Airways Privilege Membership
Methods to earn Avios
The best option to earn a significant variety of Avios for on a regular basis spending is by making use of for an Avios-branded bank card, together with:
Every card provides new candidates 75,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases inside the first three months from account opening. TPG values Avios at 1.5 cents every, making the total bonus price $1,125. Every card has a $95 annual price and earns 3 Avios per greenback spent on purchases with British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Stage. Plus, you may earn 2 Avios per greenback on resort lodging booked instantly with the resort. All different purchases earn 1 Avios per greenback spent.
As well as, no less than one Avios program companions with all main transferable currencies (bear in mind, you may switch Avios between any Avios packages at a 1:1 fee).
The next playing cards all at present provide robust welcome bonuses that you can simply convert to Avios at a 1:1 fee:
- The Enterprise Platinum Card® from American Specific: Earn 120,000 bonus factors after you spend $15,000 on purchases on the cardboard within the first three months of card membership. Phrases apply.
- The Platinum Card® from American Specific: Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards factors after you spend $8,000 on purchases inside the first six months of card membership. Examine to see in case you’re focused for a 150,000-point welcome provide by means of CardMatch (provide topic to vary at any time). Phrases apply.
- American Specific® Gold Card: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards factors after you spend $6,000 on purchases within the first six months of account opening. Phrases apply.
- Capital One Enterprise Rewards Credit score Card: Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases inside the first three months from account opening.
- Capital One Enterprise X Rewards Credit score Card: Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases inside the first three months from account opening.
- Ink Enterprise Most well-liked Credit score Card: Earn 100,000 bonus factors after you spend $8,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
- Chase Sapphire Most well-liked Card: Earn 60,000 bonus factors after you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening.
Avios are rapidly turning into one of the crucial widespread and helpful currencies.
They’re straightforward to earn and redeem, and bear in mind, you may switch them from any Avios program to a different at any time at a 1:1 fee.
Whereas lots of the greatest candy spots will be booked by means of the British Airways Govt Membership web site (so this can be a good place to start out), and that arguably has one of the best person expertise for reserving and managing redemptions, Iberia Plus and Qatar’s Privilege Membership even have their quirks and advantages.