Solar Nation Airways is making huge plans for subsequent summer time.
The Minneapolis-based ultra-low-cost service is debuting 12 new home routes and resuming three extra.
All routes originate within the service’s hub of Minneapolis-St. Paul Worldwide Airport (MSP) and supply a lower-cost various to the market’s dominant service, Delta Air Strains.
Need extra airline-specific information? Join TPG’s free biweekly Aviation e-newsletter.
The truth is, the airline relishes that competitors with Delta, its CEO mentioned Wednesday.
“We’re making an attempt to show Minneapolis right into a two-airline market,” Jude Bricker mentioned on the Skift Aviation Discussion board in Dallas. “In case you pay with our personal cash, you fly with Solar Nation. In case you fly on a company contract, you fly Delta.”
The truth is, one new route and one resuming route function to a Delta hub.
And, historical past exhibits that Solar Nation — and its loyal, native base — might be aggressive. Whereas smaller than Delta in lots of markets, it dominates in others. As an example, Solar Nation had 56% of the market share within the MSP to Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) market, based on August information from the U.S. Division of Transportation, the newest statistics obtainable.
The 12 new routes are as follows.
Join our every day e-newsletter
- Charlotte Douglas Worldwide Airport (CLT): Service begins April 13 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
- Atlantic Metropolis Worldwide Airport (ACY): Service begins Could 1 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
- Louisville Worldwide Airport (SDF): Service begins Could 4 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
- John Glenn Columbus Worldwide Airport (CMH): Service begins Could 4 and operates Thursdays and Sundays till Could 28, then Mondays and Fridays beginning June 2.
- Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW): Service begins Could 5 and operates Mondays and Fridays till Could 26, then operates on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays beginning Could 29.
- Richmond Worldwide Airport (RIC): Service begins Could 19 and operates on Fridays and Sundays.
- Omaha Eppley Airfield (OMA): Service begins Could 26 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
- Kansas Metropolis Worldwide Airport (MCI): Service begins Could 29 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
- Wilmington Worldwide Airport (North Carolina) (ILM): Service begins June 1 and operates on Thursdays and Sundays.
- Colorado Springs Airport (COS): Service begins June 8 and operates on Thursdays and Sundays.
- Cherry Capital Airport (Traverse Metropolis, Michigan) (TVC): Service begins June 16 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
- Fast Metropolis Regional Airport (RAP): Service begins June 19 and operates on Mondays and Fridays.
The three resuming routes are as follows.
- John F. Kennedy Worldwide Airport (New York) (JFK): Service resumes April 13 and operates on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Solar Nation final served JFK in 2019 and likewise serves Newark Liberty Worldwide Airport (EWR).
- Milwaukee Mitchell Airport (MKE): Service resumes Could 5 and operates twice weekly on Mondays and Fridays till Could 26, then operates on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays beginning Could 29. Solar Nation final served MKE in January 2022.
- St. Louis Lambert Worldwide Airport (STL): Service resumes Could 23 and operates on Fridays and Sundays. Solar Nation final served STL in October 2021.
Evaluation: Flying Solar Nation’s 737-800 from Minneapolis to Newark
All routes are operated by Boeing 737 next-generation plane.
“We’re excited to proceed our progress to high leisure locations throughout the nation,” Solar Nation chief income officer Grant Whitney mentioned in an announcement. “With these new routes, Solar Nation will now fly direct from MSP to 86 distinctive markets throughout the USA, Mexico, Central America, Canada and the Caribbean. We sit up for connecting our visitors to their favourite individuals and locations to create lifelong reminiscences and transformative experiences.”
Along with its scheduled ultra-low-cost service, Solar Nation additionally has a strong constitution market — and it additionally operates 737 freighters on behalf of Amazon.
“The elemental motive we went into it’s nonetheless very beneficial right now,” Bricker mentioned of his airline’s cargo flying. “And it helps us de-peak the schedule.”