Amman-based oneworld member Royal Jordanian is within the technique of renewing and increasing its fleet, with one order already selected, and extra orders anticipated within the coming weeks.
Royal Jordanian’s present fleet
For context, Royal Jordanian presently has a fleet of 24 passenger plane, together with:
- 5 Airbus A319s, that are a mean of ~15 years previous
- Six Airbus A320s, that are a mean of ~11 years previous
- Two Airbus A321s, that are a mean of ~10 years previous
- Seven Boeing 787-8s, that are a mean of ~seven years previous
- Two Embraer 175s, that are a mean of ~14 years previous
- Two Embraer 195s, that are a mean of ~14 years previous
Six various kinds of plane throughout a fleet of simply two dozen planes is kind of some selection. Then once more, there’s some fleet commonality between the assorted Airbus jets and the 2 varieties of Embraer jets, so for the needs of crew coaching, there are solely three fleet sorts.
When all is alleged and completed, the airline has a mean fleet age of round 12 years. Whereas that’s hardly previous, it’s most likely a superb time to begin serious about fleet renewal, since orders are sometimes made years upfront.
Royal Jordanian orders 20 Airbus A320neos
Royal Jordanian’s CEO has revealed that the airline has positioned an order for 20 Airbus A320neos. That is the up to date model of the Airbus A320, that includes improved gas effectivity and a quieter cabin.
These 20 planes will likely be changing the 13 Airbus A320-family plane that Royal Jordanian presently flies, that means that the airline will likely be increasing its fleet fairly a bit. Moreover, there’s additionally going to be much more fleet consistency, for the reason that airline will solely fly A320neos, moderately than a mixture of A319s, A320s, and A321s.
Whereas the precise supply timeline stays to be seen, it’s anticipated that these planes will characteristic Wi-Fi, seatback leisure, and extra. Moreover, not less than a number of the A320neos will characteristic flat beds.
Understand that Royal Jordanian makes use of its Airbus fleet for a lot of routes to Europe, that are thought of “premium,” in order that explains the flat beds. It certain could be good if Royal Jordanian simply went for full consistency, and put in flat beds on all A320neos (that may be completed fairly effectively with Collins Aerospace Diamond seats, for instance).
Royal Jordanian plans so as to add Boeing 787s and extra
The Airbus A320neo order is simply step one of Royal Jordanian’s fleet renewal and growth:
- Royal Jordanian plans to extend its Boeing 787 fleet from seven to 11 jets, together with the potential of including both Boeing 787-9s or 787-10s; hopefully the airline additionally installs a brand new enterprise class product on these jets
- Royal Jordanian plans so as to add new regional jets to its fleet beginning within the second half of 2023, although the main points surrounding that haven’t but been introduced; I’m curious if the airline orders extra Embraer jets, or if we possibly see some A220s added to the fleet
Royal Jordanian’s aim is to develop its fleet from 24 plane to round 40 plane inside the subsequent 5 years, in order that’s fairly some progress.
Royal Jordanian will likely be refreshing and increasing its fleet, which is fairly thrilling. The airline will purchase 20 Airbus A320neos, which is able to exchange 13 present A319s, A320s, and A321s. On prime of that, the airline plans to choose up extra Boeing 787s and regional jets, although the precise particulars of that stay to be seen.
That is an thrilling improvement, as Jordan has nice geography for connectivity within the Center East. I simply want Royal Jordanian had a bit extra aggressive of a protracted haul enterprise class product.
What do you make of Royal Jordanian’s fleet renewal?