Southwest Airways is among the hottest airways in the US, because of its intensive home route community, vouchers that by no means expire, two free checked luggage, and customarily nice customer support. It’s no marvel that the service’s co-branded bank cards are standard as nicely. We’ve simply seen some incredible new restricted time welcome provides rolled out on these playing cards, making it a good time to use.
Southwest Speedy Rewards playing cards provide 75K factors
By means of Monday, December 5, 2022, all three Southwest Speedy Rewards private bank cards are providing the identical welcome bonus of 75,000 Speedy Rewards factors after spending $3,000 throughout the first three months. This bonus applies to the next three playing cards:
Be aware that the factors earned with this card (together with the welcome bonus) depend towards Southwest Companion Go.
Eligibility for Southwest Speedy Rewards Visa playing cards
In case you’re contemplating making use of for a Southwest Visa, all three variations of the cardboard are topic to Chase’s 5/24 rule. Which means you usually gained’t be permitted when you’ve opened 5 or extra new card accounts previously 24 months (there are some exclusions, like many enterprise bank cards).
Moreover, any private Southwest Visa shouldn’t be obtainable in case you are:
- A present cardmember of any private Southwest Visa Card
- A earlier cardmember of any private Southwest Visa Card who obtained a brand new cardmember bonus throughout the final 24 months
See this submit for Southwest bank card eligibility restrictions, and see this submit for Chase’s basic software restrictions.
Variations between Southwest private bank cards
The welcome bonus on all three of those private playing cards is identical, although the annual charges vary from $69 to $149. The temptation could be to go for the cardboard with the bottom annual price, although as I’ll clarify beneath, the premium playing cards can characterize a a lot better worth.
What are the variations between these three Southwest bank cards?
What all three Southwest Visa playing cards have in widespread
All three Southwest private bank cards have one foremost factor in widespread, which is 25% financial savings on inflight drink & Wi-Fi purchases. All the opposite advantages of the playing cards differ, so let’s take a look at these variations.
Southwest bank card annual charges
The three private Southwest Visa all have totally different annual charges, as follows:
Southwest bank card anniversary bonus factors
As an incentive to carry onto the Southwest Visa, you earn a sure variety of anniversary bonus factors yearly (this occurs each 12 billing cycles after you open your card):
- The Southwest Speedy Rewards Plus Card has a 3,000 level anniversary bonus
- The Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier Card has a 6,000 level anniversary bonus
- The Southwest Speedy Rewards Precedence Card has a 7,500 level anniversary bonus
I’ll discuss extra concerning the worth of Southwest Airways factors beneath, however as a basic rule of thumb, you’ll be able to anticipate that factors may be redeemed for ~1.2 cents towards the price of a ticket. To crunch the numbers additional:
- On the $69 annual price Plus Card you’re incomes $36 price of factors ($33 lower than the annual price)
- On the $99 annual price Premier Card you’re incomes $72 price of factors ($27 lower than the annual price)
- On the $149 annual price Precedence Card you’re incomes $90 price of factors ($59 lower than the annual price)
Southwest bank card return on spending
All three private Southwest Airways bank cards provide totally different returns on spending:
- The Southwest Speedy Rewards Plus Card provides 2x factors on Southwest purchases, native transit and commuting, web, cable, telephone providers, and choose streaming, and 1x factors on all different purchases
- The Southwest Speedy Rewards Premier Card provides 3x factors on Southwest purchases, 2x factors on native transit and commuting, web, cable, telephone providers, and choose streaming, and 1x factors on all different purchases; moreover, earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Factors for each $10,000 spent on the cardboard
- The Southwest Speedy Rewards Precedence Card provides 3x factors on Southwest purchases, 2x factors on native transit and commuting, web, cable, telephone providers, and choose streaming, and 1x factors on all different purchases; moreover, earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Factors for each $10,000 spent on the cardboard
Southwest bank card overseas transaction charges
Whereas the Southwest Plus Card has 3% overseas transaction charges, each the Southwest Premier and Southwest Precedence don’t have any overseas transaction charges, making them good choices for worldwide journey.
Southwest Precedence Visa Card advantages
Whereas the advantages on the Southwest Plus Card and Southwest Premier Card are related except for the anniversary bonuses and overseas transaction charges, I wished to speak concerning the Southwest Precedence Card, which is what I like to recommend individuals apply for.
That’s essentially the most premium model of the cardboard and has a $149 annual price. Is the incremental annual price price it over the Plus and Premier variations, which have annual charges which can be $50 and $80 decrease, respectively?
This card provides three additional perks that nearly appear too good to be true, and for my part, greater than justify the incremental annual price.
Southwest Precedence Card $75 annual journey credit score
The Southwest Precedence Visa Card provides a $75 journey credit score each anniversary 12 months, beginning your first 12 months (so this isn’t based mostly on the calendar 12 months, however relatively is predicated on each 12 billing cycles).
This may be utilized towards any Southwest flight buy, so the one factor excluded is inflight drink and Wi-Fi purchases, in addition to upgraded boardings.
The assertion credit score ought to submit to your account the identical day that the eligible buy posts to your account.
In case you spend a minimum of $75 per 12 months on Southwest then this credit score must be price face worth. So far as I’m involved, that lowers the true “out of pocket” on this card from $149 per 12 months to $74 per 12 months.
4 upgraded boardings on Southwest Airways
Only for having the Southwest Precedence Card, you get 4 upgraded boardings per anniversary 12 months, when obtainable.
You’ll be reimbursed for the acquisition of as much as 4 upgraded boardings in positions A1-15. This may be bought on the departure gate or ticket counter on the day of journey. You should utilize this on 4 totally different events, or when you desire you should utilize them on a single flight (when you’re touring with three others).
It may take as much as eight weeks for these to be reimbursed, although usually you’ll discover it posts quicker than that.
The value of upgraded boardings varies by flight, so it’s onerous to place a greenback worth on this profit. Regardless, this compares favorably to the 2 EarlyBird check-ins provided each anniversary 12 months on the opposite playing cards.
The Southwest Precedence Card greater than pays for itself
In case you fly Southwest with any frequency (even as soon as per 12 months), the Precedence Card is a no brainer. Each anniversary 12 months you’re getting a $75 Southwest Airways journey credit score, plus 7,500 factors (which I worth at $90).
That’s $165 of worth proper there on a card with a $149 annual price. That’s not even accounting for the upgraded boardings.
How a lot are Speedy Rewards factors price?
Southwest Airways Speedy Rewards is a revenue-based program, which means that the variety of factors required for an award redemption is instantly tied to how a lot a ticket would value in money.
As a basic rule of thumb, you want 83 Southwest Speedy Rewards factors per greenback of airfare, which means every Southwest Speedy Rewards level will get you about 1.2 cents towards an airfare buy (which is how I arrive at my valuation of Speedy Rewards factors).
There are some additional issues to bear in mind when redeeming factors on Southwest Airways.
Change your Southwest tickets without cost
Many airways have change and cancelation charges on award tickets as a money-grab, whereas Southwest Airways fees no change charges. If you wish to change your ticket final minute (or apply it to a future ticket), you’ll be able to apply that worth ahead. That’s superior.
What I typically do is e book a Southwest Airways award ticket as a backup possibility if I’m hoping for one more flight to open up, as a result of I can all the time cancel it if want be.
Two free checked luggage with each Southwest ticket
Southwest is thought for providing free checked luggage, as you get two free checked luggage on all itineraries. Sure, this even consists of Speedy Rewards redemptions!
Southwest provides free snacks & tender drinks
In contrast to different airways, Southwest Airways doesn’t cost for snacks (the airline doesn’t even promote any snacks, as the whole lot is free), and tender drinks are free. The one factor onboard you’ll be able to pay for is Wi-Fi and alcohol, and the co-branded bank cards even provide financial savings on these purchases.
Southwest doesn’t cost for seat assignments
Whereas a variety of airways will cost for seat assignments, Southwest has a very totally different system. The airline has open seating, so the seat you get depends upon how early you check-in.
Simply check-in on-line as near 24 hours as potential and you must have a fairly good boarding “place.” Better of all, you should utilize your upgraded boardings or EarlyBird check-in to safe the most effective boarding place.
Speedy Rewards factors don’t expire so long as your account is open
It’s that easy — so long as your account is open your factors don’t expire.
Southwest’s Premier & Efficiency Enterprise playing cards
In case you’re on the lookout for a enterprise bank card, you’re in luck, as a result of the provides on enterprise playing cards are wonderful as nicely:
- The $99 annual price Southwest® Speedy Rewards® Premier Enterprise Credit score Card (evaluate) has a welcome bonus of 60,000 Speedy Rewards factors after spending $3,000 inside three months; the cardboard provides perks like 6,000 anniversary factors yearly
- The $199 annual price Southwest® Speedy Rewards® Efficiency Enterprise Credit score Card (evaluate) has a welcome bonus of 80,000 Speedy Rewards factors after spending $5,000 inside three months; the cardboard provides unbelievable perks like 9,000 anniversary bonus factors, 4 upgraded boardings per 12 months, a day by day Wi-Fi credit score on Southwest, a World Entry or TSA PreCheck credit score, and far more
Southwest’s private bank cards have new welcome bonuses of 75,000 Speedy Rewards factors upon finishing minimal spending. This is a wonderful provide.
All three playing cards have issues going for them, for anybody who flies Southwest with any frequency. Personally, I believe the $149 annual price Southwest Precedence Card is the most effective of the choices, given the additional perks it provides, which greater than justify the annual price.
Do you intend on choosing up a Chase Southwest bank card with a bonus of 75K factors?