Redeeming Etihad Miles On American: Nice Deal
Many OMAAT readers are most likely aware of the nice worth of redeeming American AAdvantage miles for journey on Etihad, however fewer are most likely conscious of the nice worth of redeeming Etihad Visitor miles on American. Whereas it may be a headache and is certainly extra of a distinct segment redemption, there’s nonetheless worth available.
Fundamentals of redeeming Etihad Visitor miles on American
Why must you even care about redeeming Etihad Visitor miles on American? Properly, there are a number of key advantages:
- American doesn’t accomplice with any main transferable factors currencies, whereas Etihad Visitor companions with Amex Membership Rewards, Capital One, and Citi ThankYou
- For conditions the place American has its lowest degree award pricing, premium cabin awards can value considerably much less via Etihad Visitor than via American AAdvantage
- The catch is that you must guide these awards by cellphone with Etihad Visitor, which could be a little bit of a ache (from the US, Etihad Visitor might be reached at 877-690-0767)
Let’s go over among the logistics.
Etihad Visitor redemption charges on American
You possibly can discover the Etihad Visitor award chart for journey on American Airways right here. Notice that every one pricing will not be solely one-way, but in addition per section, that means that should you’re touring a number of segments in every route, you’d pay for every of them individually.
Simply to focus on a few the very best redemption values, under is the award chart for journey on American originating in North America.
Under is the award chart for journey on American inside the USA.
There are a number of issues to bear in mind when redeeming Etihad Visitor miles on American:
- You must guide not less than 24 hours prematurely of your meant departure, so you possibly can’t use this to lock-in a really final minute award, as that’s usually when American releases award availability
- There shouldn’t be gas surcharges, however the taxes and charges could also be a bit greater than if reserving via American; it shouldn’t be too substantial, however don’t count on them to precisely match what American expenses
- The provision Etihad has entry to ought to match the saver area which American is exhibiting its personal members, although typically there are discrepancies
- You must guide these awards by cellphone, and Etihad’s name middle could be a bit irritating to take care of
- You possibly can change your itinerary for a charge of 100 AED (~$27), or you possibly can redeposit an award as much as 24 hours prematurely for a charge equal to 10% of the miles redeemed
- Etihad Visitor miles expire after 18 months of inactivity, although any exercise can reset that expiration
Etihad Visitor redemption candy spots on American
What are the very best values should you’re seeking to redeem Etihad Visitor miles on American? I believe a number of awards particularly stand out. Additionally remember that we typically see switch bonuses from transferable factors currencies to Etihad Visitor, which may stretch your factors even additional. Specifically:
- You possibly can guide American’s A321T firstclass between New York and Los Angeles or San Francisco for 32,500 miles
- You possibly can guide American’s 777 firstclass from the USA to South America for 62,500 miles
- You possibly can guide American’s 777 firstclass from the USA to Europe for 62,500 miles
How favorably does this award pricing examine for firstclass? For journey between New York and Los Angeles, American AAdvantage would cost 43,500-50,000 miles.
For journey between New York and London, American AAdvantage would cost 85,000 miles
For journey between New York and Sao Paulo, American AAdvantage would cost 85,000 miles
These are some fairly vital financial savings…
Learn how to decide American award availability
What tends to confuse individuals essentially the most about these redemptions is determining which flights ought to really be bookable via Etihad Visitor. These days American costs a lot of its awards as “Internet Particular” awards, and these are solely bookable via American AAdvantage, and never via companions. How do you determine if an award is a Internet Particular award or not?
Properly, to ensure that an American flight to be bookable via a accomplice program:
- There must be “Z” class availability for firstclass
- There must be “U” class availability for enterprise class
- There must be “T” class availability for economic system class
Since Etihad’s web site doesn’t allow you to search American award area, there are a few methods you might go about this. For one, you might search via one other service’s web site. For instance, British Airways’ web site reveals American award availability, so should you see the area via British Airways, it must also be bookable via Etihad.
For instance, under is a New York to Los Angeles firstclass award on American via British Airways’ web site, which reveals you that there’s availability. It’s a reasonably nice deal via Etihad Visitor, because you’d pay 32,500 miles, moderately than 51,500 Avios.
You can even verify via American’s web site, by particularly on the lookout for the fare codes I listed above. For instance, pulling up a New York to Los Angeles award, I clicked on the “Particulars” tab. If you take a look at the primary class column, you’ll see that the award books into the “Z” class code, which implies it must also be bookable via companions.
In the meantime I pulled up one other itinerary that originally appeared to have good firstclass pricing, however you’ll see that this one lists the primary class fare as being within the “F” fare class, and reveals it being a Internet Particular, which wouldn’t be bookable via a accomplice program.
Whereas I’d positively think about this to be a distinct segment redemption, having the ability to redeem Etihad Visitor miles for journey on American could be a nice worth, particularly in premium cabins. Not solely is the pricing usually higher, however it provides you the benefit of having the ability to guide with transferable factors currencies.
Now, remember that American isn’t nice about releasing award availability in firstclass on the saver degree, which is why I believe that is of restricted use. Nevertheless, for these conditions the place there’s area, particularly near departure, that is an unbeatable deal for flying throughout the nation or throughout the Atlantic.
Simply be ready for the trouble of getting to guide by cellphone. It’s not the tip of the world, although it does require some endurance.
In case you’ve redeemed Etihad Visitor miles on American, what was your expertise like?