Alaska Mileage Plan has simply added on-line bookings for one more associate, which is a constructive improvement.
Cathay Pacific awards bookable on Alaska’s web site
Final week Alaska Mileage Plan introduced that some main modifications are coming to associate awards later this 12 months. We don’t but know the small print, nevertheless it’s in all probability not excellent news. There was one constructive side to this improvement — Alaska dedicated to creating Cathay Pacific and LATAM awards bookable on alaskaair.com.
The primary a part of that’s stay, as now you can redeem Alaska miles for journey on Cathay Pacific on-line. Which means that LATAM is the one Alaska redemption associate that’s not bookable on-line, however that ought to change quickly (in the meantime we’re nonetheless ready for award redemptions on EL AL to be added, although that partnership launched in 2019).
Cathay Pacific award area will present up if there’s availability when checking the “use miles” field. Moreover, you may e-book a stopover on a one-way award at no additional price by utilizing the multi-city function.
Cathay Pacific redemptions supply among the many greatest makes use of of Alaska miles. You possibly can anticipate to pay the next variety of miles for one-way premium cabin awards originating in the USA:
- Between the USA and Asia prices 50,000 miles in enterprise class, 70,000 miles in first-class
- Between the USA and Africa, India, South Asia, and the Center East, prices 62,500 miles in enterprise class, 70,000 miles in first-class
- Between the USA and Australia and New Zealand prices 60,000 miles in enterprise class, 80,000 miles in first-class
The timing right here isn’t precisely nice…
On the one hand, the timing of that is fairly good, as Hong Kong is lastly beginning to reopen. Hong Kong is now open to guests with restrictions and testing, and is anticipated to open on a extra widespread foundation quickly.
Sadly that’s the place the excellent news ends relating to redemptions on Cathay Pacific:
- Presently Cathay Pacific has solely scheduled Airbus A350s on flights to the USA, as there are not any Boeing 777s within the schedule; meaning Cathay Pacific isn’t providing first-class to & from the USA, which is my favourite use of Alaska miles (although in different cabins the A350 gives a greater expertise)
- Cathay Pacific has massively decreased the quantity of associate award availability it releases up to now couple of years, and there’s little or no premium lengthy haul award area
So Cathay Pacific redemptions are lastly accessible on-line with Alaska Airways, however there has in all probability by no means been a much less thrilling time for that by way of award availability and product choices from the USA.
It’s lastly attainable to redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles for journey on Cathay Pacific on-line. It’s nice to see this improvement, although it doesn’t precisely come at a good time. Cathay Pacific has lower first-class on routes from the USA, the airline has turn out to be a lot stingier with award availability, and earlier than the tip of the 12 months Alaska can be making award chart modifications.
What do you make of Alaska including Cathay Pacific awards on-line?