Lufthansa to purchase stake in ITA Airways from Italian authorities

Beleaguered Italian flag service ITA Airways has discovered a brand new proprietor.

The Lufthansa Group mentioned Thursday that it had agreed with the Italian authorities to buy a 41% stake within the state-owned airline, with choices to accumulate the remaining 59% sooner or later sooner or later.

Need extra airline-specific information? Join TPG’s free biweekly Aviation e-newsletter.

The 325-million-euro (about $348 million) buy will see the Italian authorities make a further 250-million-euro money funding within the airline.

ITA Airways was shaped in 2020 from the remnants of Alitalia, which the Italian authorities took over in March of 2020 after years of unsuccessful makes an attempt to discover a purchaser. In the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government selected to nationalize and restructure the airline, which was infamous for shedding cash.

ITA started flying in October 2021. The airline reported a lack of round 486 million euros ($527 million) in 2022 — its first full 12 months of operations — regardless of incomes revenues of 1.58 billion euros from roughly 10.1 million passengers carried.

Join our each day e-newsletter

Lufthansa — which owns quite a lot of European airways, together with Swiss, Eurowings, Austrian Airways and Brussels Airways — positioned a bid for ITA earlier this 12 months to attempt to acquire extra market share in Italy. The Germany-based consortium beforehand struggled to construct a foothold in Italy, squeezed out by competitors from Alitalia (or ITA) and its SkyTeam companions, together with low-cost carriers like EasyJet and Ryanair.

“As a part of the Lufthansa Group household, ITA can develop right into a sustainable and worthwhile airline, connecting Italy with Europe and the world,” Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr mentioned in an announcement. “On the similar time, this funding will allow us to proceed our development in considered one of our most necessary markets.”

The settlement, which is able to must be accredited by the European Union, will see Lufthansa assume management over ITA’s operations even with the preliminary minority possession stake.

“Upon closing of this transaction, ITA Airways and Lufthansa Group are anticipated to instantly begin their cooperation at a industrial and operational degree,” the German group mentioned in its announcement. “As a community airline, ITA will intently cooperate with Lufthansa Group to learn from group synergies.”

What this implies for frequent flyers and factors and miles collectors stays unclear. Lufthansa is a member of Star Alliance, whereas ITA, like Alitalia earlier than it, is a part of SkyTeam. It’s not clear if or when ITA would depart SkyTeam, be part of Star Alliance, or in any other case combine with Lufthansa’s Miles & Extra frequent flyer program.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button