Posted: 12/1/2022 | December 1st, 2022
Tulum, situated within the southern part of Quintana Roo on Mexico’s Yucatán Peninsula, was a sleepy seashore city that attracted hippie varieties who most popular the placid seashores and its Mayan ruins over Cancún’s wild, cacophonous nightlife.
Within the final decade or so, although, the hippies have been overtaken by influencers, boho-chic digital nomads, and would-be yogis. So, whereas I loved seeing the ruins there, I’m not an enormous fan of Tulum today.
However that’s simply me. Lots of of hundreds of individuals go to annually and love their time there. Journey is subjective, in spite of everything.
Dwelling to a number of the best-preserved Mayan ruins and picturesque white-sand seashores, Tulum is unquestionably a beautiful slice of Mexico.
However is Tulum secure?
That relies on who you ask.
The Abroad Safety Advisory Council says that Tulum is “reasonably secure” — although there was at the least one kidnapping of a vacationer there earlier this yr, and two ladies had been killed by gang crossfire whereas eating at a restaurant in 2021.
For the state of Quintana Roo, which incorporates Tulum, the data from the US State Division says to “train elevated warning” when touring there (versus six different states in Mexico, the place the report mentioned, “Don’t journey to”).
That mentioned, I’ve visited Tulum a number of instances now — and have road-tripped across the area — and by no means felt unsafe. Positive, it is advisable to preserve your wits about you and preserve a watch out for petty theft, however that’s what it’s best to do anyplace you journey.
That can assist you perceive extra in regards to the metropolis and determine in case you really feel snug visiting, right here is all the things it is advisable to know to remain secure in Tulum.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Vacationers?
Usually, sure. It’s within the native and nationwide governments’ curiosity to make an effort to maintain tourist-heavy locations like Tulum secure. If vacationers begin getting robbed (or worse) in Tulum, guests will cease coming, native companies will undergo, and, consequently, there would then most likely be extra crime. It’s cyclical.
If you happen to train some warning, as it’s best to do in any new vacation spot, you’ll possible keep away from any severe points.
Is Tulum Protected for Solo Feminine Vacationers?
Tulum is usually secure for solo feminine vacationers. That mentioned, feminine vacationers have further considerations and will train much more warning. Don’t stroll alone at night time, for instance, whereas in Tulum. By no means settle for a drink from somebody until you noticed it being poured or made. And all the time regulate your drink when out on the bar.
Are Taxis in Tulum Protected?
Taxi drivers have a fairly dangerous popularity regardless of the place you’re on the earth. I’m completely happy to report that that popularity doesn’t lengthen to this seaside city. Simply be sure you agree on a worth earlier than you depart.
Taxis are plentiful in Tulum so most often you shouldn’t have an issue discovering one. If doubtful, although, have your resort or hostel name one for you so that you may be certain you get a good driver.
Is Renting a Automobile in Tulum Protected?
There are some rental automobile scams that vacationers ought to concentrate on — not simply in Tulum however anyplace in Mexico. It’s fairly widespread, for instance, to hire a automobile on-line after which present up on the workplace solely to be informed that they don’t have any automobiles in the meanwhile.
The opposite difficulty is with hidden charges. There are exorbitant prices for insurance coverage that you just’re solely informed about on the final minute, so bear in mind once you e book that you just may get the deal that you just suppose you’re getting.
Other than these points, it’s secure to hire a automobile in Tulum.
To search out the most effective rental automobile offers, use Uncover Vehicles.
Is There an Challenge with Gangs and Drug Cartels in Tulum?
Sadly, crime has elevated in Tulum, and nearly all of it’s drug-related gang exercise. Since 2019, drug-related gang crimes have elevated by a whopping 783%. The excellent news is that that is largely gang-on-gang violence and never geared toward vacationers.
The important thing right here is that this: don’t use or purchase medication whereas in Mexico normally, and Tulum specifically. You’re simply inviting hazard.
Can You Drink the Faucet Water in Tulum?
The faucet water throughout Mexico — not simply in Tulum — is infamous for not being as clear because it could possibly be. That goes for ice cubes too. Discover out first if the water in eating places is filtered after which ask if the ice cubes are too.
Tulum can typically be sweltering, and sipping iced drinks is likely to be refreshing, however it could be even worse to be caught in your resort room with abdomen points since you drank faucet water or an iced drink that was contaminated with faucet water.
Bottled water isn’t probably the most eco-friendly factor, however when in Tulum, keep on with it, simply to be secure. It’s also possible to convey a LifeStraw bottle, which has a built-in filter to make sure that your water is all the time clear and secure to drink.
Can I Stroll Round at Evening in Tulum?
It’s not advisable — particularly in case you’re alone. Making issues extra sophisticated, the seashore inns and the middle of city are usually not essentially a fast jaunt from one another on foot, so it’s best to take a taxi. The excellent news is that taxis are plentiful in Tulum.
So, until it’s an excellent brief distance, don’t stroll at night time in Tulum.
10 Security Suggestions for Tulum
Tulum is without doubt one of the extra reliably secure spots in Mexico. That mentioned, it’s best to nonetheless train warning, notably once you depart the closely touristed areas of city. Listed below are some issues to remember:
1. Keep alert – When strolling round, particularly at night time, keep very alert and aware of your environment. Do your finest to slot in.
2. Hold your cellphone out of the attain of others – Pickpockets like to prey on careless vacationers, so preserve your cellphone out of the attain of others always. If you happen to stroll round swinging your smartphone everywhere, you may discover that merchandise instantly lacking.
3. Hold your valuables at house – Equally, if in case you have a variety of good jewellery and/or an costly watch, preserve it at house or within the resort room secure. You don’t wish to entice the incorrect sort of consideration.
4. Be cautious at night time in case you’re touring alone – Tulum isn’t probably the most harmful place at night time, however in some locations, it’s not as effectively lit appropriately. Don’t stroll round alone late at night time in case you can keep away from it — particularly between the middle of city and the beachfront resort zone.
5. Obtain an offline map – If you happen to don’t have worldwide roaming, obtain an offline map to make use of for navigation. Simply ensure to not pull your smartphone out an excessive amount of, lest it get stolen.
6. Study some Spanish – Uttering a number of phrases of the native language is all the time factor. It might probably open doorways and assist you slot in (and also you’re much less more likely to be a goal). It’s additionally helpful in case of an emergency. The emergency quantity in Mexico is 911.
7. Be aware of your cash – Don’t carry each peso you’ve in your pockets or pocket. Unfold it round (some in your pockets, some within the resort secure, some in your backpack), in order that if somebody steals your pockets or robs you, you’ll nonetheless have cash secured elsewhere.
8. Obtain the Prey app to your cellphone and laptop computer – In case your cellphone or your laptop computer will get stolen, the Prey app lets you observe the place it’s. You may set up the app without cost after which improve to a paid model (it’s simply $5 USD) if it is advisable to observe your stolen gadget. Prey can even activate your cellphone’s digicam and take a photograph of the thief.
9. Watch out when utilizing ATMs – Solely use ATMs inside a financial institution. Not solely can skimmers be positioned on out of doors ATMs (to steal your PIN), however robberies are way more widespread at them. To remain secure, solely use indoor ATMs.
10. Be careful for riptides – Whereas the seashores in Tulum are gorgeous, the riptides may be harmful. By no means stray too removed from shore, simply to be secure. If you happen to’re not a powerful swimmer, keep on with the pool.
So, Ought to You Go to Tulum?
By way of security, sure. As I mentioned above, there was a fair proportion of drug- and gang-related crime in Tulum over the previous few years, however in case you’re not searching for out medication — and you actually shouldn’t be — then possible you’ll keep away from experiencing any such points.
My Most Necessary Recommendation
Purchase journey insurance coverage. We by no means suppose that one thing goes to go incorrect on journeys. But it surely does typically — which I’ve discovered from expertise. I’ve misplaced baggage in South Africa, had my gear break in Italy, and popped an eardrum in Thailand. I used to be additionally knifed in Colombia.
Whereas it’s not enjoyable to consider, dangerous issues can occur when you’re touring.
That’s why I by no means depart house with out journey insurance coverage. You shouldn’t both — particularly in case you’re heading to Mexico. For simply a few bucks a day, you’ll get a security web that ensures that you just gained’t go bankrupt ought to one thing dangerous and sudden occur.
Don’t low cost out in your well being and security. It’s not definitely worth the threat.
Right here’s all the things it is advisable to find out about choosing a complete insurance coverage plan.
Tulum has shortly change into the epicenter of the so-called Riviera Maya, attracting every kind of people that gravitate right here for its gorgeous white-sand seashores hugging up alongside blue-green waters, in addition to the properly preserved Mayan ruins.
Whereas it’s a usually secure place for vacationers, it’s best to all the time be alert and train warning when you’re in Tulum. Do this, and also you’ll be capable of have a enjoyable — and secure — go to.
E book Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Tips
E book Your Flight
Discover a low cost flight through the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you all the time know no stone is being left unturned.
E book Your Lodging
You may e book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace apart from a hostel, use Reserving.com because it constantly returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and inns.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you towards sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes incorrect. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many instances prior to now. My favourite firms that provide the most effective service and worth are:
Need to journey without cost?
Journey bank cards assist you to earn factors that may be redeemed without cost flights and lodging. They’re what preserve me touring a lot for therefore little. Try my information to selecting the correct card and my present favorites to get began and see the most recent finest offers.
Able to E book Your Journey?
Try my useful resource web page for the most effective firms to make use of once you journey. I record all those I exploit once I journey. They’re the most effective in school and you’ll’t go incorrect utilizing them in your journey.