Nicely this can be a unusual however constructive replace. A few days in the past I reported how most Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses would now not permit entry by way of Plaza Premium, as they have been faraway from Plaza Premium’s web site. I’m now being informed that’s not the case, and that these proceed to be accessible. The web site has been up to date to mirror that.
The Virgin Atlantic & Plaza Premium partnership
In mid-2021, it was introduced that the majority Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in the US would begin to be managed by Plaza Premium. Presumably this resolution was motivated by a few elements:
- It’s extra environment friendly to have an organization that makes a speciality of lounges managing and staffing the lounge, fairly than an airline making an attempt to do it by itself
- Plaza Premium might assist with higher monetizing Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses, since there’s fairly a bit of cash to be made with lounges, particularly together with premium bank cards
As a part of this, we’ve seen all 5 Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in the US supply entry to non-Virgin Atlantic passengers by way of Plaza Premium, together with those in:
- Boston (BOS)
- New York (JFK)
- Newark (EWR)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington (IAD)
For these not acquainted, Plaza Premium has a partnership with American Specific and Capital One, which means that these with The Platinum Card® from American Specific (overview) and Capital One Enterprise X Rewards Credit score Card (overview) can entry these lounges.
What’s fascinating is that this entry isn’t simply provided at occasions when the lounges would in any other case be empty, however fairly entry is obtainable on the identical time that Virgin Atlantic passengers have entry, together with throughout peak night hours.
Plaza Premium not dropping entry to US Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses
A number of days in the past, Plaza Premium’s web site was up to date to mirror some adjustments to lounge entry. Particularly, Plaza Premium’s web site on the time steered that:
- The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in Boston (BOS) and New York (JFK) would now not supply entry to Plaza Premium company efficient instantly
- The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in San Francisco (SFO) and Washington (IAD) would now not supply entry to Plaza Premium company as of February 28, 2023
- The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in Newark (EWR) would proceed to be a part of the Plaza Premium community (not coincidentally, Virgin Atlantic doesn’t even fly to Newark anymore, in order that Clubhouse is completely used as a contract lounge by different airways)
Nicely, because it seems, scratch all that. I’ve now acquired discover from a Capital One spokesperson that each one of those lounges will proceed to be accessible by eligible cardmembers, and that nothing is altering. Certain sufficient, they’ve all been added again to the Plaza Premium Lounge web page.
That is nice information, as a result of Plaza Premium’s community is in any other case fairly restricted within the united States, because the group solely has two of its personal lounges, in Dallas (DFW) and Orlando (MCO).
What precisely occurred right here? Nicely, I’ve no clue. Plaza Premium’s web site was clearly up to date to mirror adjustments to lounge entry. Adjustments like this don’t simply occur for no cause, so clearly somebody did one thing to trigger that to occur.
I’m curious what occurred behind the scenes right here. Did Plaza Premium determine to make this variation and never focus on it with its companions, or what? Fortuitously I’ve been assured nothing is altering, and that’s what issues most.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in the US will proceed to be accessible to these with Plaza Premium lounge entry. That’s nice information for these with the Amex Platinum and Capital One Enterprise X. I’m unsure what precisely occurred within the background right here, however I’d take into account this to be a constructive growth regardless.
What do you make of this Virgin Atlantic and Plaza Premium replace?