WestJet, Canada’s second largest airline, has spent the previous a number of years seemingly with out a technique, making an attempt to be all issues to all folks in Canadian aviation. The airline has now dedicated to a brand new imaginative and prescient, which appears fairly logical on the floor.
WestJet & Alberta authorities to accomplice
WestJet and Alberta’s authorities have introduced a partnership, whereby WestJet will develop significantly at Calgary Worldwide Airport (YYC). Whereas that is already WestJet’s greatest hub, and the one airport the place WestJet has a lounge, the airline might be much more invested locally:
- WestJet will double capability in Calgary earlier than the tip of the last decade; WestJet lately elevated its Boeing 737 MAX order, which can facilitate a lot of the expansion
- WestJet will use Calgary as its unique international connecting hub, so all seven Boeing 787s might be primarily based there for intercontinental service
Because it’s described, this partnership is meant to make Alberta probably the most cost-competitive aviation market in Canada, promote the province to the world, drive sustainability, improve post-secondary packages, and enhance expert labor provide for the aviation sector.
With this, we’ll see the federal government spend money on growing Alberta’s aviation sector:
“The settlement between the airline and the Authorities of Alberta will see the federal government spend money on growing Alberta’s aviation sector. It additional lays out strategic, collaborative priorities to make sure provincial insurance policies are aligned and in help of the event of the complete aviation trade in Alberta. The Authorities of Alberta and the WestJet Group will search alternatives to handle the general cost-competitiveness challenges for the sector.”
Listed here are a few of the highlights of the partnership:
- Journey Alberta will present further funding in help of journey and tourism efforts
- Work might be finished to handle the challenges related to excessive aviation gas costs
- Entry might be improved to pilot coaching, with funding and enlargement of the Mount Royal College pilot coaching program
- There might be funding of an annual hiring coaching grant to make sure help for coaching and different related prices
- There might be a dedication to growing sustainable aviation gas capability in Alberta as central to financial diversification and decreasing carbon emissions
- The federal government of Alberta and WestJet will search alternatives to allow progress via strategic private and non-private investments that help the aerospace and aviation sector
I don’t envy the place WestJet is in
On the floor this appears to me like a sensible transfer on WestJet’s half. WestJet is specializing in its core energy, which is its presence in Calgary. Beforehand the airline appeared to be in every single place and was nearly making an attempt to compete instantly with Air Canada, which didn’t appear to be a terrific technique.
Larger image, I simply can’t assist however level out what an extremely difficult aviation market Canada is. Canada is a big nation (marginally bigger than america by way of land mass) with solely 38 million folks. The nation is very seasonal, and the inhabitants is closely concentrated in a number of main cities (roughly 13 million folks reside within the better Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver areas).
Along with Air Canada being Canada’s international airline, you will have a seemingly countless variety of new extremely low value carriers getting into the market, plus you will have Porter increasing considerably.
That places WestJet in a troublesome place, because the airline most carefully competing towards Air Canada. Calgary is Canada’s fourth largest metropolis (the inhabitants is round 1.3 million), and it’s additionally one among Canada’s most prosperous cities. Alberta has fairly central geography in Canada (although it’s a lot nearer to Vancouver than Toronto), and I’d say that’s in all probability extra of a curse than a blessing.
So whereas I feel it in the end is smart for WestJet to attempt to deal with its greatest hub, I can’t assist however surprise how a lot progress Calgary can maintain. Past precise demand for journey to & from Calgary, how a lot connecting site visitors can the airport moderately anticipate to get?
- With Canada’s inhabitants being so closely centered round a couple of massive cities, there are fairly a couple of nonstop choices for main markets; whereas there are some smaller markets the place connecting service is required, there in all probability gained’t be sufficient demand to fill Boeing 737 MAX 10s
- By being within the middle of Canada, there are pretty restricted worldwide markets the place a connection in Calgary is environment friendly; you’re not going to need to fly from Japanese Canada to the Caribbean or Europe through Calgary, and also you’re not going to need to fly from Western Canada to Hawaii or the Caribbean through Calgary
So whereas I feel WestJet is heading in the right direction with specializing in Calgary, I’m skeptical in regards to the idea of the airline with the ability to massively develop on the airport in a worthwhile manner.
WestJet is doubling down on Calgary, due to a brand new partnership with Alberta’s authorities. The airline will completely fly its Boeing 787s from Calgary, and also will double capability on the airport earlier than the tip of the last decade.
WestJet has struggled to resolve on a method in recent times, so I feel it is a transfer in the correct path. Nonetheless, I’m skeptical about how a lot worthwhile progress is practical in Calgary.
What do you make of WestJet’s new technique?