In June 2021 we realized how Chase might be entering into the airport lounge sport, which was beforehand dominated by American Specific with its Centurion Lounges (and for that matter, Capital One can also be entering into the airport lounge enterprise).
Up till now we’ve merely identified that Chase will open lounges at a minimal of 9 airports, although particulars have in any other case been restricted. Seemingly out of nowhere, the Chase Sapphire Lounge Hong Kong opened at this time, making it the primary Chase Sapphire Lounge on this planet. In gentle of that, I needed to cowl every thing we find out about this lounge idea.
Fundamentals of Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Membership
JPMorgan Chase is opening airport lounges, often called Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Membership. Chase describes these lounges as providing a “recent method to the lounge expertise.” Chase’s entry into the lounge house is being executed in collaboration with Airport Dimensions, which operates current airport lounge group “The Membership” (that are completely tremendous, however aren’t notably outstanding).
Let’s cowl the place the lounges might be positioned, once they’ll open, and who will get entry.
Chase Sapphire Lounge areas & sizes
Chase has formally introduced that it has plans to open 9 airport lounges. The primary seven Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Membership areas have been revealed, with six being in the US, and one being outdoors the US. Particularly, there might be lounges in:
- Boston (BOS), within the connector between Terminal B & Terminal C
- Hong Kong (HKG), in Terminal 1
- Las Vegas (LAS), in Terminal C
- New York (LGA), in Terminal B
- Phoenix (PHX), in Terminal 4 South 1
- San Diego (SAN), in Terminal 2 West
- Washington (IAD), in Terminal A
We don’t but know the place the opposite two deliberate lounges might be positioned, although I’m certain we’ll discover out quickly, primarily based on filings with airports, if nothing else.
The roughly 12,000 sq. foot Chase Sapphire Lounge Hong Kong has opened as of October 2022, and it’s anticipated that the subsequent lounges might be opening in 2023. Boston and Phoenix appear the most certainly to open subsequent, primarily based on what we all know to date. So I’d count on these to open in early 2023.
When it comes to the sizes of upcoming lounge openings, right here’s what we all know in regards to the measurement of 5 upcoming openings:
- The BOS Chase Sapphire Lounge is predicted to be 12,000 sq. ft
- The IAD Chase Sapphire Lounge is predicted to be 5,200 sq. ft
- The LAS Chase Sapphire Lounge is predicted to be 4,500 sq. ft
- The PHX Chase Sapphire Lounge is predicted to be 3,500 sq. ft
- The SAN Chase Sapphire Lounge is predicted to be 11,000 sq. ft
Curiously Hong Kong, Las Vegas, New York, and Phoenix, have already got Centurion Lounges, whereas Boston, San Diego, and Washington don’t (although Washington has a Capital One Lounge coming in 2023).
Chase Sapphire Lounge entry necessities
The Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Membership will primarily be Precedence Cross lounges.
At the start, these with the Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card (assessment) get entry to Chase Sapphire Lounges immediately with their card, with out having to point out a Precedence Cross membership (regardless that the cardboard presents a Precedence Cross membership).
On prime of that, the Precedence Cross memberships issued with different premium bank cards, just like the Capital One Enterprise X Rewards Credit score Card (assessment) and The Platinum Card® from American Specific (assessment), additionally get you entry.
Sadly these with the Chase Sapphire Most popular® Card (assessment) don’t get entry to those lounges.
What ought to we count on from Chase Sapphire Lounges?
With the Chase Sapphire Lounge Hong Kong now open, and every thing Chase has shared to date in regards to the idea, what precisely ought to we count on from these lounges? The way in which I view it:
- It doesn’t sound like Chase goes as premium as Amex or Capital One with airport lounges
- Since these lounges have “The Membership” within the branding, it seems like these would possibly simply be barely elevated variations of current “The Membership” areas
- This virtually looks as if extra of a mutual advertising and marketing alternative of kinds between Chase and Airport Dimensions, supposed to be a aggressive response to what American Specific and Capital One are doing
- Since these lounges might be open to everybody with a Precedence Cross membership, that kind of opens the floodgates, and I think about these lounges will get busy; I ponder if any capability controls might be put in place, particularly for the three,500-5,200 sq. foot lounges in the US
It’s superior to see Chase get into the airport lounge sport, although on the finish of the day I feel you’ll be able to solely get so enthusiastic about bank card lounges in the US, given how many individuals have entry. The broad entry necessities — and opening them as much as all Precedence Cross members — realistically limits how good these might be.
Personally I feel the one actually distinctive bank card lounge in the US is the Capital One Lounge DFW, which has some fairly superior facilities.
The Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Membership idea has lastly launched. The primary lounge has opened in Hong Kong, and we are able to count on these lounges to begin to open in 2023 in the US. These lounges are coming to at the least eight extra airports, together with in BOS, IAD, LAS, LGA, PHX, and SAN.
Chase Sapphire Lounges are open to all Precedence Cross members, so these lounges have fairly broad entry necessities. In consequence, I’d additionally count on crowding to be a priority, at the least on the areas in the US.
What do you make of Chase’s new airport lounge idea?