Air France provides one of many world’s most unique top notch merchandise. It’s not solely unique when it comes to the scale of the primary class cabins, but additionally when it comes to how few methods there are to get into these cabins with miles. On this put up I wished to go over the main points of that, particularly as Air France has added new top notch award restrictions as of 2023.
Fundamentals of Air France La Premiere top notch
Air France’s top notch, referred to as La Premiere (“the primary” in French), is without doubt one of the world’s greatest top notch experiences. Personally I rank the inflight product as being the second greatest on the planet, whereas I rank the bottom expertise as being one of the best on the planet.
Presently Air France solely provides top notch on choose Boeing 777-300ER plane, which fly to excessive yield markets (like Dubai, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and many others.). Every of those planes is configured with only one row of 4 top notch seats, in a 1-2-1 configuration.
Air France has revolutionary top notch seats, as every has a curtain that goes all the best way from the ceiling to the ground, supplying you with utmost privateness. The one different top notch product on the planet providing this stage of privateness is Emirates’ new top notch.
Every little thing else in regards to the inflight expertise is unimaginable as effectively, from the persistently nice service, to the highest notch meals, to the facilities.
The awesomeness of the Air France top notch expertise doesn’t finish within the air, as Air France provides an unequalled top notch floor expertise. You’ll be pushed to & from the aircraft, you possibly can obtain a complimentary spa therapy, and you may take pleasure in an incredible meal within the lounge. Observe you can additionally independently purchase the primary class floor expertise, although there are lots of restrictions related to that.
Air France is even planning on introducing a brand new top notch product within the winter 2023 & 2024 season. Particulars of the product are pretty restricted as of now, although.
Redeeming miles for Air France La Premiere top notch
Right here’s the catch — of the world’s greatest top notch merchandise, Air France La Premiere is the product that’s most inaccessible with miles.
You possibly can solely redeem miles for Air France top notch immediately by way of the Air France-KLM Flying Blue program, and solely when you have Flying Blue Platinum standing:
- You possibly can’t redeem miles for Air France top notch if you’re a Flying Blue Gold, Silver, or non-elite member
- You possibly can’t redeem any companion loyalty program miles for journey in Air France top notch
- Observe that related restrictions exist for upgrades with miles
- There are provider imposed surcharges on these award tickets, however they’re pretty delicate (at the least in comparison with airways like British Airways and Lufthansa)
- Air France releases at most one top notch award seat per flight, so when you’re making an attempt to journey as a pair, you’ll must pay for at the least one of many seats
Even if you’re eligible for these redemptions, award prices are steep. How a lot do you have to anticipate to pay? You possibly can use the “miles worth estimator” on the Flying Blue web site to get a way of what number of miles could be required. Simply to offer some examples:
- A one-way top notch ticket from New York to Paris would price 220,000 Flying Blue miles
- A one-way top notch ticket from Los Angeles to Paris to Frankfurt would price 230,000 Flying Blue miles
- A one-way top notch ticket from Miami to Paris to Singapore would price 320,000 Flying Blue miles
- A one-way top notch ticket from Washington to Paris to Dubai would price 350,000 Flying Blue miles
As you possibly can see, these are actually steep redemption charges. If it’s any comfort, at the least Flying Blue now permits stopovers on one-way awards, so you would break up your journey with a stopover in Paris.
Are there methods to reserving Air France La Premiere top notch?
Whereas I wouldn’t say there are any “methods” to reserving Air France La Premiere, there are a few different issues to think about:
- Generally Air France has cheap(ish) paid top notch fares, although they’re rarer than up to now; you’ll normally discover one of the best fares originating in Europe, particularly departing from locations apart from Paris, like Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Geneva, Madrid, Stockholm, Zurich, and many others.
- Air France will typically promote paid top notch upgrades at check-in, and costs range; for instance, from Paris to Dubai it may cost a little as little as ~$1,000, whereas from New York to Paris it usually prices ~$2,200
Previously I’ve thought-about going for Flying Blue elite standing with a view to get entry to Air France top notch awards, although not anymore. The standing isn’t too onerous to earn, in order that’s not what’s stopping me. Slightly the problem is that Gold members can now not redeem for top notch, and on high of that you just’re restricted to 1 top notch award seat per flight.
Air France La Premiere is without doubt one of the world’s greatest top notch experiences. Sadly it’s additionally one of many hardest experiences to safe with miles.
You possibly can solely redeem miles for Air France top notch when you have Platinum standing within the Flying Blue program, and even then redemption charges are excessive. Moreover, Flying Blue now solely makes one award seat accessible per flight in top notch, so this aspirational redemption isn’t real looking if you wish to journey with another person.
Some would possibly discover it to be worthwhile to earn standing with Flying Blue to redeem for Air France top notch. Alternatively, Air France does typically promote top notch upgrades at check-in, which is in any other case one of the best technique for reserving Air France top notch.
Have any OMAAT readers redeemed miles for Air France top notch?