Editor’s observe: This submit has been up to date with the present card data.
American Specific® Gold Card Overview
The American Specific® Gold Card needs a seat at your desk, whether or not you’re eating out at eating places or shopping for groceries at U.S. supermarkets to cook dinner at house. You may additionally profit from its varied assertion credit to economize all year long. With the cardboard’s strong welcome supply, the Amex Gold could also be a terrific choice on your pockets.
Card Score*: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
*Card Score is predicated on the opinion of TPG’s editors and isn’t influenced by the cardboard issuer.
Though its annual price of $250 (see charges and costs) may appear dear to some, the American Specific Gold Card frequently ranks as considered one of our prime rewards playing cards thanks to some key options.
First are its exemplary incomes charges, which embrace bonuses of 4 factors per greenback at eating places and on as much as $25,000 in purchases per calendar 12 months at U.S. supermarkets (then 1 level per greenback) — making it among the finest playing cards for each eating purchases in addition to groceries. The cardboard additionally presents varied assertion credit (which might be particularly nice for foodies) that assist offset the annual price.
The Amex Gold’s present welcome supply of 60,000 Membership Rewards factors after you spend $4,000 on the cardboard within the first six months of cardmembership is strong, although you can be focused for an excellent increased supply by way of the CardMatch device (supply topic to alter at any time) or through a pal’s referral hyperlink.
Right here’s all the pieces it’s essential to know in regards to the American Specific Gold Card.
Who is that this card for?
When you’re a foodie and eat out (or order in) incessantly, this card is a no brainer.
That’s as a result of it earns 4 factors per greenback at eating places, together with takeout and supply with providers like Grubhub or Seamless (within the U.S.). When you’re a house cook dinner, this card additionally earns 4 factors per greenback at U.S. supermarkets on as much as $25,000 in purchases per calendar 12 months (then 1 level per greenback). That’s probably a variety of bonus Amex Membership Rewards factors which you can maximize for journey and different redemptions.
Cardholders additionally obtain as much as $120 in annual assertion credit ($10 per 30 days) towards eating at choose retailers and as much as one other $120 per 12 months ($10 per 30 days) in Uber Money towards U.S. Uber rides and Uber Eats orders after enrolling their card. Collectively, these deliver the out-of-pocket value of the cardboard’s $250 annual price nearer to a mere $10.
Join our each day e-newsletter
Briefly, the Amex Gold is nice for anybody trying to leverage their on a regular basis spending for glorious rewards whereas additionally having fun with helpful assertion credit for issues like eating and ride-hailing providers.
Learn extra: Who ought to (and who shouldn’t) get the Amex Gold?
Present welcome supply
The Amex Gold is at the moment providing a welcome bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards factors after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases along with your new card throughout the first six months. Primarily based on TPG’s newest valuations, that bonus is price $1,200.
Nevertheless, getting an excellent increased welcome supply of as much as 90,000 factors could also be attainable through the CardMatch Instrument, so it’s all the time a good suggestion to examine there to see should you’re focused (supply topic to alter at any time).
Associated: Why the Amex Gold is the right “in-between” card
The Amex Gold presents a number of glorious perks for cardmembers, however listed here are the primary ones to concentrate on and to maximise:
- As much as $120 annual eating assertion credit score: Earn as much as $10 in month-to-month assertion credit month-to-month once you pay with the Amex Gold Card at collaborating eating companions, together with Grubhub, The Cheesecake Manufacturing facility, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and choose Shake Shack areas. Enrollment by way of the Amex web site is required.
- As much as $120 in annual Uber Money: Earn as much as $10 in Uber Money month-to-month for Uber Eats and Uber rides within the U.S. You will need to add the cardboard to the Uber app to obtain the Uber Money profit. This perk is a month-to-month assertion credit score much like the Uber Money on The Platinum Card® from American Specific. Enrollment is required.
- As much as $100 in lodge credit: Cardmembers who use their card to ebook a keep of two nights or extra by way of Amex’s The Lodge Assortment obtain a $100 on-site credit score for qualifying actions. Relying on the property, this might embrace eating, spa remedies or different actions.
- No overseas transaction charges (see charges and costs): Avoiding overseas transaction charges makes this card a terrific selection to make use of for purchases when touring internationally.
- Baggage insurance coverage: In case your baggage is misplaced, stolen or broken once you’re touring with a typical provider and you bought your ticket with the Amex Gold, you’ll be eligible for as much as $1,250 in protection for carry-on baggage and as much as $500 for checked baggage. For New York State residents, there’s a $10,000 combination most restrict for all coated individuals per coated journey.*
- Journey delay reimbursement: If you buy your journey with the cardboard and your journey is delayed greater than 12 hours due to a coated purpose, you’ll be eligible for reimbursement of as much as $300 for eligible bills reminiscent of meals, lodging and toiletries per coated journey. You might be allowed as much as two claims per eligible card account each 12 months.**
- Rental automotive insurance coverage: Use your card to pay for a complete automotive rental and decline the company’s collision harm waiver and you’ll obtain secondary protection for harm or theft. There are exclusions to what sorts of leases are coated, which areas or territories protection is on the market in and different situations to concentrate on, so be sure you learn your advantages information.***
Added collectively, these perks quantity to a great deal of worth 12 months in and 12 months out and make the Amex Gold Card a wonderful selection normally for vacationers.
Associated: Maximizing the American Specific Gold Card
*Eligibility and profit stage varies by card. Phrases, situations and limitations apply. Please go to americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for extra particulars. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Firm.
**Eligibility and profit stage varies by card. Phrases, situations and limitations apply. Please go to americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for extra particulars. Underwritten by New Hampshire Insurance coverage Firm, an AIG Firm.
***Eligibility and profit stage varies by card. Phrases, situations and limitations apply. Please go to americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for extra particulars. Underwritten by AMEX Assurance Firm. Automotive Rental Loss or Injury Protection is obtainable by way of American Specific Journey Associated Providers Firm, Inc.
The Amex Gold impresses relating to its bonus classes and long-term incomes potential. It accrues factors on the following charges (phrases apply):
- 4 factors per greenback on eating at eating places (together with take out and supply).
- 4 factors per greenback on as much as $25,000 in purchases at U.S. supermarkets per calendar 12 months (then 1 level per greenback).
- 3 factors per greenback on flights booked immediately from the airline or by way of the Amex Journey Portal.
- 1 level per greenback on all different eligible purchases.
These are among the most beneficiant incomes charges of any rewards card on the market. Incomes 4 factors per greenback on eating and groceries (as much as that $25,000 annual cap) is equal to getting an 8% return on spending based mostly on TPG valuations.
When you ebook flights incessantly, this card ought to undoubtedly be in your radar since that 3-point-per-dollar incomes charge is substantial, too.
Associated: One of the best bank cards for eating out, taking out and ordering in
The American Specific Membership Rewards factors you may earn with the Amex Gold are among the many most respected rewards factors round.
First, cardmembers can switch their factors to this system’s many airline and lodge companions for any variety of glorious journey choices.
As an example, factors transferred to Etihad Visitor can then be used to ebook business-class flights to Europe on American Airways for simply 50,000 miles every means (considered one of many nice redemption choices out there by way of this unsung program).
Virgin Atlantic additionally offers loads of worth — reminiscent of the flexibility to attain round-trip, first-class flights on ANA between the U.S. and Japan for as few as 110,000 factors. One other glorious redemption choice is transferring factors to Avianca LifeMiles for reasonable Star Alliance premium cabin awards.
On the lodge facet, you may switch factors to Alternative Lodges and Marriott Bonvoy at a 1:1 ratio and Hilton Honors at a 1:2 ratio.
American Specific even presents switch bonuses once in a while, which might be a good way of compressing much more worth from the factors.
You’ll usually get probably the most worth out of your Amex factors by transferring them to a journey associate, though that isn’t your solely redemption choice. You need to use factors to purchase present playing cards, cowl fees in your billing assertion, store at Amazon or journey with Uber. You can too use factors to ebook journey immediately by way of Amex. Nevertheless, aside from switch companions, all of those redemption choices fall effectively wanting TPG’s valuation of two cents per level.
Associated: Redeeming American Specific Membership Rewards for max worth
Which playing cards compete with the Amex Gold?
The Amex Gold’s $250 annual price locations it between mid-tier and premium-level playing cards. Though there’s no direct comparability on the annual price entrance, a number of playing cards supply related bonus classes and perks.
One of the vital apparent comparisons is the Chase Sapphire Most popular Card, with a $95 annual price. It’s at the moment providing 60,000 bonus factors after you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first three months from account opening. These bonus factors are price round $1,200 by TPG valuations. The cardboard additionally underwent a notable refresh in 2021, together with enhanced incomes charges. The Sapphire Most popular now earns:
- 5 factors per greenback on journey booked by way of the Final Rewards Journey portal.
- 3 factors per greenback on eating.
- 3 factors per greenback on choose streaming providers.
- 3 factors per greenback on on-line groceries (excludes Goal, Walmart and wholesale golf equipment).
- 2 factors per greenback on different journey.
- 1 level per greenback on different eligible purchases.
These are some fairly spectacular charges, particularly contemplating cardholders get one other 10% annual factors bonus on base spending plus a $50 annual assertion credit score for accommodations booked by way of the Chase Journey Portal. The important thing consideration will probably be should you spend much more on journey versus eating and groceries. When you do, then the Chase Sapphire Most popular could be a greater decide for you. In any other case, you could be higher off with the Amex Gold’s increased incomes charges and extra substantial assertion credit.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve deserves a point out on the premium finish, because it was as soon as the reigning champ for the very best return on eating spending with a 3-point-per-dollar incomes charge. Just like the Chase Sapphire Most popular, this card’s incomes charges have been up to date in 2021, so now it accumulates:
- 10 factors per greenback on Chase Eating booked by way of Final Rewards.
- 10 factors per greenback on lodge and automotive rental purchases by way of the Final Rewards Journey portal.
- 5 factors per greenback on airline journey booked by way of the Final Rewards Journey portal.
- 3 factors per greenback on different journey and eating.
- 1 level per greenback on different eligible purchases.
Whereas that is one other robust earner, you may nonetheless be higher off with the Amex Gold, relying in your typical buy exercise and if that features extra basic eating and grocery purchasing quite than journey.
The Sapphire Reserve fees a $550 annual price, however, as you’d anticipate, it presents significantly extra perks than the Amex Gold, reminiscent of a $300 annual journey credit score, a World Entry/TSA PreCheck utility price credit score of as much as $100 each 4 years and Precedence Cross lounge entry.
If the Amex Gold Card’s incomes charge at U.S. supermarkets is a promoting level for you, you can additionally contemplate the Amex EveryDay® Most popular Card from American Specific. It earns 3 factors per greenback at U.S. supermarkets on the primary $6,000 spent every calendar 12 months (then 1 level per greenback). Nevertheless, should you make at the least 30 purchases in a billing cycle, you’ll get a 50% bonus in your factors. Meaning you may earn as many as 4.5 factors per greenback on groceries, equal to a 9% return on spending based mostly on TPG valuations. This card additionally has a a lot decrease $95 annual price, however observe the a lot decrease cap on bonus earnings for U.S. grocery store purchases annually.
The knowledge for the Amex EveryDay Most popular has been collected independently by The Factors Man. The cardboard particulars on this web page haven’t been reviewed or supplied by the cardboard issuer.
The Amex Gold isn’t only a fairly card. The incomes charges at eating places and U.S. supermarkets make it a powerful decide for just about all meals purchases. The as much as $120 in annual assertion credit on eating and as much as $120 in Uber money add much more worth and make the $250 annual price simpler to just accept.
That’s why the American Specific Gold Card earns a spot as considered one of our greatest rewards playing cards.
Apply right here for the American Specific® Gold Card with a 60,000-point welcome bonus, although be sure you check the CardMatch Instrument to see should you’ve been chosen for an excellent increased welcome supply.
For charges and costs of the Amex Gold Card, click on right here.
Further reporting by Ryan Wilcox and Eric Rosen.